Trout Fillets with Streaky Bacon and Flaked Almonds
A Kevin Dundon Recipe
3 tbsp Odlums Cream Flour
4 trout fillets, about 225g (8oz) each, cleaned, gutted and skinned
12 slices of Donnelly’s Irish Style Bacon
Salt and black pepper
2 tbsp oil
150g (1¼ sticks) Irish butter
4 tbsp flaked (slivered) almonds, (optional)
2 tbsp roughly chopped tarragon
Juice of 1 lemon
1. Lightly flour the trout, wrap each fillet in 3 slices of streaky bacon, then season with salt and black pepper.
2. Drizzle the oil into a frying pan on a moderate to high heat. Place the wrapped trout
in the pan and caramelize the bacon for 2 minutes on each side.
3. Reduce the heat, add 100g (1 stick) of the butter and leave the trout to cook on a low heat with the butter foaming for about 5 minutes on each side.
4. Transfer the fish to a warmed plate, and pat dry to remove the excess butter.
5. Add the remaining butter to the pan and allow it to foam, then add the almonds,
if using, and fry lightly. Sprinkle with the tarragon, then add the lemon juice to
deglaze the pan, scraping up any bits from the base of the pan. Spoon the flavoured
almonds over the trout and serve immediately