This is a great all-in-one recipe that literally takes 5 minutes to get into the oven. It is perfect for a coffee morning or served with some raspberries and a dollop of crème fraîche as a pudding. It will keep happily for a couple of days in an airtight tin so would also be good for a packed lunch.
1 ½ cups (9oz) self-raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 cup plus 2 tbsp (8oz) caster sugar
16 tbsp (8oz) Kerrygold Salted Butter, at room temperature
4 large eggs
finely grated rind of 2 lemons
3 tbsp milk
For the lemon icing:
1 cup (7oz) icing sugar
finely grated rind and juice of 1 lemon
1. Preheat the oven to 325°F (160°C), Gas mark 3 and line a 9in x 12in (23cm x 30cm) baking tin with parchment paper.
2. Sift the flour into a large bowl with the baking powder and sugar.
3. Make a well in the center and add the butter, eggs, lemon rind and milk.
4. Beat with a hand-held electric mixer for a couple of minutes until well combined.
5. Using a spatula, transfer the mixture to the prepared tin and spread out evenly.
6. Place in the oven for 30-35 minutes until well risen and golden brown.
7. Leave in the tin for a few minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
8. To make the icing, sift the icing sugar into a bowl and add the lemon rind and juice, then beat until smooth.
9. Spread over the top of the cooled lemon cake. Leave to set at room temperature for 1 hour and then cut into squares.
10. To serve, arrange squares of the lemon drizzle cake on a large plate and place on the table so that guests can help themselves.