These Scones can be served with cheese or thin slices of smoked salmon and wedges of lemon.
175g/6 oz Odlums Coarse Wholemeal Flour
175g/6 oz Odlums Cream Plain Flour
1 level teaspoon Bread Soda
Pinch of Salt
50g/2 oz Butter or Margarine
1 tablespoon Golden Caster Sugar (optional)
200ml/7fl oz Buttermilk
50g/2 oz Poppy Seeds
1. Preheat oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas 6. Lightly dust a flat baking sheet or swiss roll tin with some flour.
2. Put the wholemeal flour and poppy seeds into a large mixing bowl. Sieve the cream flour, salt and bread soda into the bowl.
3. Mix the ingredients together with fingers, raising the hands as you do to introduce as much air as possible.
4. Next rub in the butter/margarine, then mix in the sugar if used.
5. At this stage, put the lightly dusted tin into the oven to preheat.
6. Finally stir in sufficient buttermilk to make a soft dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and gently knead for a few seconds.
7. Cut out scones.
8. Put the scones on the preheated tin. Brush with a little milk or egg to glaze (for a golden finish).
9. Bake for about 15 mins or until risen and golden brown. Cool on a wire tray.
For an alternative flavour, add ½ teaspoon of flaked chilli to the dry ingredients
Another alternative would be to add a pinch of mustard and a tablespoon of grated Parmesan cheese to the dry ingredients