These traditional spiced, sticky glazed fruit buns with pastry crosses are often served as a classic Easter treat, and can also be enjoyed at any time of year.
625g/1lb 4oz Odlums Strong White Flour, plus extra for dusting
1 teaspoon Salt
2 teaspoon Mixed Spice
50g/2oz Butter, cubed, plus extra for greasing
75g/3oz Golden Caster Sugar
Rind of 1 Lemon, grated
1 x 7g sachet Fast Action Yeast
1 Egg, beaten
275ml/10fl oz Milk (tepid/lukewarm temperature)
125g/4oz Fruit Mix
1. Sieve flour, salt and mixed spice into a large mixing bowl, then rub in butter using fingertips until mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
2. Make a well in the centre then add sugar, lemon and yeast.
3. Mix in egg and milk to a form a soft pliable dough.
4. Then turn out onto lightly floured surface and carefully work the fruit into the dough until well combined.
5. Knead lightly for 5 minutes or until smooth and elastic.
6. Grease a large, warm mixing bowl with butter. Shape the dough into a ball and place into the bowl, cover with a clean tea towel and set aside to prove in a warm place for at least 1 hour.
7. Once proved, turn dough onto a lightly floured surface and knock back to remove air. Shape into a ball again and return to the bowl, set aside for a further 30 minutes to rise.
8. After 30 minutes, divide dough into 12 equal pieces.
9. Roll each into a ball, then flatten slightly into a bun shape and place onto a greased baking tray.
10. Cover again with tea towel and set aside to rest for 5-10 minutes.
11. Wrap the tray with the buns on it loosely in greaseproof paper, then place inside a large polythene bag. Tie the end of the bag tightly so that no air can get in and set aside in a warm place for a further 40 minutes to rise.
12. Preheat oven to 240°C/475°F/Gas 8.
13. For the topping, mix the plain flour to a smooth paste with 2 tablespoons of cold water.
14. When the buns have risen, spoon the flour mixture into a piping bag and pipe a cross on each bun.
15. Transfer buns to the oven and bake for 8-12 minutes until pale golden brown. As soon as you remove the buns from the oven, brush them with the heated golden syrup, then set aside to cool on a wire rack.