1. Preheat the oven to 160°C/325°F/gas mark 3. Beat the butter and sugar together until smooth. A wooden spoon or electric mixer may be used!
2. Add the flour, cornflour and ground almonds. Mix gently until a dough is formed.
3. Use your finger tips to form the dough into a ball and lightly knead, if necessary.
4. Press the dough into a greased 20cm/8in round. A sandwich tin may be used.
5. Prick around top of the dough with a fork.
6. Bake for 20 minutes or until very pale in colour.
7. Allow to set in the tin for five minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool.
8. As soon as the shortbread is cold, store in an airtight tin.