Savoury Pancake with Ballymaloe Relish
Serves 6 — makes 12 approx
1. Sieve the flour and salt into a bowl
2. Beat the egg and stir into the 450ml of milk.
3. Make a well in the centre of the flour and slowly pour in the liquid mixture. With a whisk or wooden spoon, starting in the centre, gradually mix in the liquid bringing it all together.
4. Let the batter stand in a cold place if you have time. Just before you cook the pancakes stir in the 2 tablespoons of melted butter. This will make all the difference to the flavour and texture of the pancakes and will make it possible to cook them without greasing the pan each time.
5. Heat a non-stick pan over a hot heat, pour in a small ladleful of batter and move the pan side to side until it evenly covers the base of the pan. Reduce the heat as you begin to add your toppings.
6. Spread Ballymaloe Relish over the pancake followed by freshly grated cheese, cooked bacon pieces and spring onion.
7. Fold in half and wait until the cheese has melted. Serve with a smile. Enjoy!