Crispy Smashed Potatoes
For the potatoes
1 ½ pounds small red potatoes
1/3 cup olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
For the cheese sauce
1 tablespoon Kerrygold Salted Butter
4 teaspoons flour
1 (12 ounce) can Evaporated Milk
1 ½ cups grated Kerrygold Aged Cheddar Cheese
½ teaspoon black pepper
1. In a large pot of water, place the fingerling potatoes and bring to a boil. Turn heat down to simmer and cook until then can be pierced easily with a fork. (Total time should take about 30 minutes. Be careful to not overcook them.) Drain and set aside.
2. Place a double layer of paper towels on the counter and set the drained potatoes on top to cool.
3. Using a clean dishtowel or paper towel, gently smash the potatoes with the heel of your hand and place on baking sheet. (The potatoes can be prepared to this point up to 8 hours ahead of time. Let cool completely before refrigerating)
4. Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
5. Season potatoes with salt and pepper and drizzle olive oil, making sure that a bit of oil gets under each potato so they are entirely coated.
6. Roast for 30-40 minutes, flipping once with a spatula half way through. Roast until edges are crispy and brown. Serve immediately with Kerrygold Aged Cheddar Cheese Sauce.
Kerrygold Aged Cheddar Cheese Sauce Directions:
1. Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add flour and whisk constantly for one minute.
2. Gradually add milk, whisking constantly. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer 5-7 minutes or until thick, stirring occasionally.
3. Add cheese by the handful and stir until cheese is melted.
4. Garnish with fresh black pepper and chopped chives. Serve with Crispy Smashed Potatoes.
Source: Kerrygold USA