Cheddar Apple Pie
- For the crust:
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cold and diced Unsalted Butter
- 1 cup shredded Aged Cheddar Cheese
- 1 cup ice water
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- For the filling:
- 4 lbs apples, peeled, cored and sliced 1/8” thick
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon apple pie spice
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 1 egg white whisked with 1 teaspoon water
To prepare the crust:
- Combine the flour, sugar, and salt in the bowl of a food processor.
- Pulse in the butter until pea-sized clumps exist throughout.
- Pulse in the cheese to combine barely.
- Pour the vinegar into your ice water and stir.
- Add about 5 tablespoons of the water mixture into the bowl of the processor and pulse a bit.
- Add water a tablespoon more at a time until the mix begins to come together into a shaggy dough. Don’t overwork it.
- Dump the dough out onto a clean surface and bring it together into a ball.
- Cut the dough in half and flatten each piece into a disk.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and allow to chill in the fridge for at least 2 hours.
To prepare the pie:
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Use a floured rolling pin to roll out half of the dough onto a floured surface into a circle about an inch wider than your pie plate on all sides.
- Roll the dough back onto the pin and then unroll it into the pie dish.
- Brush a thin layer of the egg white wash onto the pie dough and place in the freezer while you prep your filling.
- Combine the sliced apples with the sugar, brown sugar, flour, lemon juice, spice, vanilla, and salt.
- Toss to evenly coat the apples.
- Gently ease the dough into the edges of the pie dish and dump the filling into the prepared pie dish.
- Roll out the second half of dough onto a flour surface and use it to cut lattice strips or top your pie.
- Cut a few vent strips into the top of the pie if you opt out of a lattice and crimp the edges of the pie together as desired.
- Brush a thin layer of the egg white wash on top of the pie dough and place in the oven.
- Decrease the oven heat to 400 degrees and bake for 20 minutes.
- Decrease the heat to 375 and bake for an additional 30 minutes or until the filling is bubbling under the crust.
- You can top the pie crust with a sheet of aluminum foil if it begins to look too dark.
- Allow to cool completely prior to cutting!
Source: Kerrygold USA