1. Preheat oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas 6. Dust flat baking tray with flour.
2. Sieve the flour and salt into a bowl, then stir in the sugar.
3. Rub in butter/margarine with tips of fingers lifting ingredients to introduce air to the mix.
4. Mixture should resemble breadcrumbs.
5. Add sufficient milk to create a soft dough.
6. Turn onto a floured board and gently knead to remove any cracks.
7. Roll out lightly to 3cm/1″ in thickness. Cut into scones with a cutter 8cm/3″ dipped in flour.
8. Preheat baking sheet/tray while cutting the scones.
9. Bake on upper shelf position for 10-15 mins approx until risen and golden brown.
10. Cool on a wire tray. Serve with cream and jam.