4/6 Plum Tomatoes
2 x Buffalo Mozzarella Cheese
Salt & Pepper
1. Preheat oven 200 C/400 F/Gas 6. Lightly grease two or three flat baking trays.
2. Sieve the flour, salt and pepper into a large bowl. Coarsely rub in the butter. Add sufficient cold water to mix to a soft dough.
3. Turn onto a floured board and gently knead. Roll into an oblong.
4. Fold in a third of the pastry then fold it again over itself so it is a third of the size.
5. Roll into an oblong again a repeat three times.
6. Roll out thinly and cut into about 6 x 13cms/6″ rounds. A side plate is ideal for this!
7. Place on prepared tins, prick well with a fork then brush on the beaten egg.
8. Place into the preheated oven for 15 minutes until brown. Place on a wire tray.
9. Thinly slice the tomatoes and mozzarella. Place the tomatoes around the base then the cheese. Add a few basil leaves.
10. Drizzle olive oil on top and sprinkle with salt & pepper.
11. Reduce the oven to 180 C/350 F/Gas 4 and return the tarts for about 15 minutes until cooked and cheese has melted.
12. Remove from oven, place on a plate and garnish with more basil leaves and basil pesto.