175g/6oz Odlums Self Raising Flour
1 level teaspoon Baking Powder
125g/4oz Butter or Margarine
125g/4oz Golden Caster Sugar
3 tablespoons Milk
Finely grated rind of 1 Lemon
25g/1oz Poppy Seeds (optional)
175g/6oz Icing Sugar (sieved)
Juice of ½ Lemon
1. Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4. Grease and line a roasting tin 1½”/4cm deep and approx 12″/30cm x 9″/23cm.
2. Place flour, baking powder, butter/margarine, caster sugar, eggs, milk, lemon rind and poppy seeds (if used) into a mixing bowl and beat for about 2 minutes until mixture is smooth.
3. Transfer to prepared tin and level the top with a spoon.
4. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown and firm to the touch.
5. Remove from oven and cool on a wire tray.
6. When cold, mix lemon juice and icing sugar to form a stiff icing and spread over top of traybake. When set cut into squares.