A lovely light sponge topped with freshly whipped cream and piled high with your choice of juicy berries or seasonal fruit.
75g/3oz Odlums Self Raising Flour
3 Eggs, separated (room temperature)
75g/3oz Caster Sugar
Pinch of Salt
Few drops of Vanilla Essence (optional)
Fresh Fruit and Berries of choice (Raspberries/Strawberries/Blueberries/Nectarines/Grapes)
150ml/¼pt Cream, whipped
1. Preheat oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas 6. Line a swiss roll tin 28cm x 18cm / 11″ x 7″ with greaseproof paper.
2. Place the three egg whites and pinch of salt in a large, clean, dry mixing bowl. Stiffly beat until mixture is dry looking in appearance.
3. Next add the sugar and beat for a few seconds, then add the egg yolks and beat until mixture thickens and the trail of the beaters is visible.
4. Finally, sieve in the flour and fold it into the thick mixture using a metal spoon. To fold, just cut through the mixture, over and over with the metal spoon until all the flour is blended. Never beat, as it will beat out all the air.
5. Fold in the vanilla essence, if used, then transfer to the prepared tin and bake for about 15 minutes.
6. As soon as sponge is baked, transfer to a wire tray to cool.
7. When cold, spread with whipped cream and arrange fresh fruit on top. Best enjoyed on day of baking.