This has to be the ultimate bacon sandwich! It’s a good idea to cook the bases of the ciabatta first so that you can start assembling the sandwiches whilst the tops are cooking.
2 tablesp. milk
Freshly ground black pepper
1 loaf Brennans white bread
About 2 tablesp. olive oil
12 Donnelly bacon rashers, rinds removed
1 tablesp. Lakeshore mustard
2 tablesp. mayonnaise
2 tablesp. Chef tomato ketchup
25g rocket leaves
4 small vine tomatoes, finely sliced
1. Crack the eggs into a shallow dish, add the milk, season and mix well to combine.
2. Place each piece of the bread down in the egg mixture. Leave to soak for a minute before turning over.
3. Heat a large frying pan and add half of the oil, then add the soaked bread.
4. Cook over a medium to low heat -2 minutes until golden brown, then turn over and cook for another two minutes.
5. Meanwhile, preheat the grill. Arrange the bacon on a grill rack and cook for a couple of minutes on each side until really crispy. Keep warm.
6. Remove the bread from the frying pan and keep warm.
7. Mix together the mustard and the mayonnaise in a small bowl.
8. Just before serving, spread half the mustard mayonnaise over the bread, next add a little ketchup, the rocket leaves, a layer of tomato slices and season with the black pepper.
9. Top with the bacon. Finish by spreading the remaining mustard mayonnaise on to the top half of the eggy bread
Source: Bord Bia