225g/8oz Odlums Self Raising Flour
175g/6oz Butter (room temperature)
175g/6oz Golden Caster Sugar
1 teaspoon Coffee Essence
3 tablespoons Instant Coffee dissolved in 1 tablespoon Boiling Water, cooled
225g/8oz Icing Sugar, sieved
75g/3oz Butter or Margarine (room temperature)
1 tablespoon Instant Coffee dissolved in 1 teaspoon of Boiling Water, cooled
1 tablespoon milk
1. Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4. Grease and base line 2 x 18cm/7″ sandwich tins.
2. Place all the ingredients for the cake – flour, butter/margarine, sugar, eggs and coffee – into a mixing bowl and beat until mixture is smooth.
3. Transfer to the prepared tins and bake for about 25-30 minutes.
4. Cake is baked when top is gently pressed and it springs back.
5. Remove from tin and cool on a wire tray.
6. When completely cool, make icing by beating ingredients together until smooth.
7. Sandwich the two cakes with half the filling and spread remaining on top of the cake.