2 pounds zucchini
3 teaspoons salt, divided
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground pepper
6 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
4 large eggs, whisked
1 (7-ounce) package Kerrygold® Mild Shredded Cheddar Cheese
Canola or vegetable oil (for frying)
Coarse sea salt
1. Coarsely shred zucchini using a box grater or food processor. Place shredded zucchini in a fine mesh colander and stir in 2 teaspoons salt. Let sit for at least 30 minutes.
2. Use your hands or a dry kitchen towel to squeeze out as much liquid from the zucchini as possible. Set aside.
3. Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Place a cooling rack on a sheet pan and set aside.
4. Whisk together your remaining teaspoon of salt with the flour, baking powder, pepper and chives in a large bowl.
5. Stir in zucchini, eggs and cheese until thoroughly mixed.
6. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. When hot, add enough oil to cover the bottom of the pan.
7. Carefully scoop ¼ cups of batter into the oil and cook for 2-3 minutes per side or until golden and firm.
8. Transfer cooked fritters to the cooling rack on the sheet pan and place in warm oven. Repeat process with remaining fritter batter.
9. Sprinkle warm fritters with coarse sea salt and serve with garlic aioli, if desired.
Source: Kerrygold USA