Art of the Pie Double Crust Pie Dough
(adapted for use with Kerrygold Dubliner Cheese or Kerrygold Cheddar Cheese – both are great)
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
12 Tablespoons Kerrygold Irish Salted Butter or Unsalted Butter cut into various small pieces – pea to walnut size
2 oz (4 Tablespoons) Kerrygold Dubliner Cheese, grated and chopped fine with a knife
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
6-8 Tablespoons of ice water (this is an average but it can take a little more or a little less)
Apple Pie Filling
For a 9″ Deep Dish Apple Pie
About 10 cups heritage apples (skin on), quartered and cored.
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon allspice
2 gratings nutmeg
1 Tablespoon cider vinegar or fresh squeezed lemon
1 teaspoon Kerrygold Salted Butter chopped into little pieces
1 egg white mixed with 2 Tablespoons of water
1-2 Tablespoons sugar
Procedure for Dough
1. Combine all ingredients but the ice water in a large bowl.
2. With clean hands or pastry cutter, blend the mixture together until it looks like coarse meal with some lumps in it.
3. Sprinkle ice water over mixture and stir lightly with a fork.
4. Squeeze a handful of dough together. Mix in a bit more water if it doesn’t keep together.
5. Divide the dough in half and make two chubby disks about 5 inches across.
6. Wrap the disks separately in plastic wrap and chill for about an hour.
7. Take out one disk and put it on a well floured board. Sprinkle some flour onto the top of the disk. Thump the disk with your rolling pin several times. Turn it over and thump the other side.
8. Sprinkle more flour onto the top of the crust if needed to keep the pin from sticking and roll the crust out from the center in all directions. When it is an inch or so larger than your pie pan, fold the dough over the top of the pin and lay it in the pie pan carefully.
9. Don’t worry if the crust needs to be patched together; just paint a little water where it needs to be patched and “glue” on the patch piece.
10. Put the filling in the pie and repeat the process with the other disk.
Procedure for Filling
1. Slice apples in 1/2 inch slices.
2. In a large mixing bowl put all ingredients together except butter and mix lightly until most of the apple surfaces are covered.
Constructing the Pie
1. Pour into an unbaked pie crust, mounding high.
2. Dot with butter.
3. Roll out 2nd crust and place on top. Roll up edges and crimp edges with a fork.
4. Cut vent holes.
5. Paint with egg white wash.
6. Sprinkle sugar on top.
Baking the Pie
1. Pre heat oven to 425 degrees F and bake for 20 minutes. Reduce heat to 375 degrees F and bake for 40-50 minutes longer.
2. If you get your ear close to the top of the pie you should hear some sizzle in the crust and a gentle whumping sound from inside the pie letting you know that your pie is done!
3. Cool for at least 1 hour.
Kate McDermott via Kerrygold