- 450g/1 lb Odlums Coarse Wholemeal Flour
- 25g/1 oz Wheat Bran
- 1 tablespoon Sugar
- 125g/4 oz Odlums Cream Plain Flour
- 1 teaspoon Bread Soda
- 50g/2 oz Butter
- 1 Egg, beaten
- 600ml/1 pt Buttermilk (approx)
- Preheat oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas 6. Lightly grease a casserole dish with a lid.
- Put the wholemeal, bran and sugar into a large bowl, sieve in the flour and bread soda.
- Rub in the butter, lifting as you do to introduce air to the mixture.
- Mix the egg and buttermilk together, then slowly add to the dry ingredients to mix to a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface and gently roll.
- Transfer to the casserole dish. Place the lid on and place in the centre of the oven.
- Bake for about 1 hour until risen and golden brown. The bread will be springy to the touch!
- Times may vary according to the size of the casserole dish
- Source: Odlums